The column Contributors in the Original work table

As an example, cf the list of Original works by E. Hemingway: https://www.svde.org/ernest-hemingway-a101631288986955/original-works
In the Contributor column are listed several agents that are not contributors to the original work, but to some specific editions or translations of it. In the first row, a Korean translator i listed.
I realize this may be a matter of opinion, but I for one would prefer to see only those agents who have actually participated in creating what is perceived as the original work. The current list is misleading, making it hard to distinguish between real creators (e.g. co-authors, illustrators of children’s picture books, editors of anthologies, etc) , and contributors only connected to particular Instances or svde:Work (translators, publishers, etc).

1 Like

Thanks for testing and for your suggestion, @oddrun — I have pinged the data developers regarding this to get their input.

Just a note to say we are still following up on this and have not forgotten about it

Hi @oddrun ,
as you already know, the display of the contributors on the Opus depends by the use of the relator terms in subfields $ e and $ 4 of MARC21 tags. The relator term associated to author "Pyŏng-tʻak Yang"is “other”. In this case, the SEI group decided that the relator term “other” is referred to the Work, but also to the Opus:

I still think Oddrun has a good point on this — is this something we could bring up as a topic in the SEI group or another relevant group? CC @annadis @oddrun

Yes, I agree. Oddrun you can bring this topic during a meeting of the SEI group.

Good idea. Tiziana has now proposed that any open SEI-related issues raised in this forum are put on our meeting agenda, which is good.
The problem here is probably that lots of agents are mentioned in records without any role assignment, resulting in role=‘other’. This is certainly the case in our data, although our current cataloging practice implies a more meticulous encoding of roles.
So, we are left with having to guess what the ‘other’ role means in the context of the Opus in question. In particular, whether it means some kind of co-creator of the Opus or not.